Monday, September 13, 2010

Task One

My significant Cousin


She’s actually gone. We will never be able to see her again. July 31st, 2001 is the worst day of my life. My aunt Kelly has past away leaving her husband and 5-year-old daughter. How will this affect Montae, my cousin? Does she remember her mother? These questions run through my mom, dad, and grandma’s heads.

Ever since my aunt passed away, my little cousin has not been the same. She is quite, doesn’t say much to anyone. When school started, she would cry when the teacher talked about mother’s day or anything that has to do with moms. I would have to leave my class to go comfort her. My cousin and my aunt were close. Every time you see my aunt, you saw my cousin. My aunt dressed my cousin up in little cute outfits. My cousin is a very closed up, she doesn’t tell people her feelings. I think that with my aunt gone my cousin hasn’t been able to live her childhood like she should be.

For the past nine years, my cousin has been through hell. Her and her dad hasn’t been on the same page since her mom passed away. They fight over everything. Her dad has been in many relationships that he sometimes forgets that my cousin is his daughter. My cousin never gets along with his girlfriends because as she grows older she realizes that her dad wasn’t treating her right. He has been keeping her mother’s social security check from her and not taking care of her. He would take the money and spend on himself or his new girlfriend. He would have my cousin in clothes that were too small for her and shoes that hurt her feet. This was a reason why they fought.

My little cousin witness domestic violence and has been a victim of child abuse. He dad is the reason behind this. The abuse has been growing with every new girlfriend he gets. At first, he was just abusing his girlfriends. Not all of them stayed around afterwards but the last girlfriend has been staying around for about 4 years now. She had two of my cousin’s half brother and sister. Her and my cousin doesn’t get along at all. However, ever since my cousin’s dad n his girlfriend got together is when my cousin started to get abused. Her dad has beaten her for the littlest things. One time he almost broke her ankle. Every time that has happen, my mom goes and saves my cousin and she lives with us for a week or so.

Ever since my aunt has been gone, my little cousin has been to a minimum of seven different schools. She is now in her freshman year in high school. My cousin has lived in almost every apartment and house in Kansas City, MO. Her dad would move in either his girlfriend’s place or his own place but could never pay bills on time. For about two years, my cousin had lived with us. Then she moved back with her dad. My mom wasn’t too happy about my cousin always moving from school to school. It wasn’t until this past two years my mom has decided to fight my cousin’s dad for custody. In addition, it hasn’t been an easy two years for my mom or my cousin.

My little cousin who is now 14 years has not had the easiest life. She has been through more than people know. However, she is the strongest and most outgoing teenager I ever know. She still gets emotional when we talk about her mom but she doesn’t let it stop her from living her life. My mother has soul-custody for her, now she’s in a stable home. My little cousin is now enjoying her life as a kid. She still keeps in contact with her dad and half-siblings. My little cousin is now my little sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment