Monday, September 6, 2010

Response to "How it Feels to Be Colored Me"

Response to “How it Feels to Be Colored Me”


I label myself as a social, outspoken, fair, and honest person. I been in a mixed school, also in an all dominate white school. I never knew the difference in colors because in my home we were never taught, you’re the black girl and the neighbors are white. Everyone was the same and all people are equal. I treat everyone the same no matter their colored. In my day-to-day life, I don’t find myself running into problems like other colored females. Some judge people before they get to know others. I don’t judge people because I know what it’s like to be judged. I find myself in the middle of some arguments. Because I been on both sides of arguments. My self-identity as showed me that it is better to be yourself and don’t let others change who you are just because of you color.

Zora and I are somewhat like. She doesn’t see color in her own town. She sees everyone as the same. It wasn’t until she was forced to move into a different school when she seen that she was colored. I didn’t realize a difference in me being colored until I went to another school. Still I wasn’t treated different from the white children. I was just a little darker than they were.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jerann,

    You write,

    "Zora and I are somewhat like. She doesn’t see color in her own town. She sees everyone as the same. It wasn’t until she was forced to move into a different school when she seen that she was colored. I didn’t realize a difference in me being colored until I went to another school. Still I wasn’t treated different from the white children. I was just a little darker than they were."

    I like the comparison you make between you and Hurston. Why is it that she examines herself differently among a stark white contrast?

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete