Saturday, September 4, 2010

Response to "Rite of Passage"

Response to “Rite of Passage”


I remember my grandfather a lot. He passed away last November. It hurt me so much because when I found out I wasn’t even in town. I was in Columbia, Missouri at a cheerleading competition. I remember riding in the car on the way back home trying to remember when I last talked or seen my grandfather. I realized that, it was May of the same year. He came to my graduation and birthday party. I was very happy to see him. The last time I had seen him was months before when he came to our house to tell us he has lung cancer.

Thinking about my grandfather, I use to love to go to his house as a kid. He had many plants. When we would pull into his driveway, there was a huge window and all we would see are his plants. I use to think that we were going to a jungle. My grandfather also had birds. They were parrots. The parrots were very loud and noisy. Whenever the morning came, the parrots would start to sing. I never really knew exactly what they were singing. My grandfather always told me that they were singing from the heart. My grandfather was very caring person. He cared a lot for his grandchildren. We didn’t talk as much as I wish we should have but I’m glad just I got a chance to know him before he passed away.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jerann,

    Thank you for sharing.

    I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I'm appreciative of the detail you have used to describe him surrounding the time of his death (e.g. including location and what you were feeling).

    In the second paragraph, you establish a claim (e.g. My grandfather was a very caring person. He cared a lot for his grandchildren). There is no assertion that follows. Perhaps you could provide us with a story or an experience that shows him to be a caring person.

    ReplyDelete