Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Response to "Where College Fails Us"

Response to “Where College Fails Us”
            My experiences in college have been not like I wanted them to be. My first year at college, I was at a community college. Being there was like going to high school again. All the teachers and students act like their still freshman in high school. Half the time the teacher doesn’t show up for class. The students are disrespectful towards the teacher as well. I was not impressed with college at this time. I tried to study hard to pass all my classes but not everyone is perfect. So after I got my final grades, I started to get a little discourage. However, after transferring to a different college I have more self-esteem. My experiences at college now are more positive.  My teachers actually act more mature and the students do too.  This helps being able to keep good grades.
            I’m in college because I want to better myself, and to learn more. Another reason I’m in college is that my parents gives my sisters and I no other option. However, just like the story said, parents pressure their children to go to college. My parents aren’t the only reason I’m at college. I’m also at college because the United States are in a economy where people without college degrees can’t find jobs. Therefore, it is best to go to college and get one. Yes, I think college is worth the time, and effort. Because in order for us to have doctors and lawyers, people must learn how to be a proper one. With that said college is worth every minute and penny.            

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jerann,

    I'm happy that this college experience has been better for you. What would you like to do once you finish college?

    The state of the economy does in fact suck :) Those with only HS diplomas are having a difficult job locating work; however, I think it is important to note that even those with college degrees are having trouble as well. I don't say this to discourage you, but to let you know the truth. It isn't easy for anyone, but especially those at the middle class, working class and poverty line.

    What I would like to see for your next posts is to weave the personal narration into the story that you have been ask to read.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete